H. Maddox Kilgore
More than 19 years of experience.
Maddox began his legal career serving as a law clerk for the former Cobb County Superior Court Judge and current Georgia Supreme Court Justice P. Harris Hines. As a law clerk on the Georgia Supreme Court, Maddox honed his craft of legal writing at the highest level. As an advocate, Maddox cut his teeth as an Assistant Attorney General for five years, where he argued habeas corpus cases across the State of Georgia and represented the State in murder cases before the Supreme Court of Georgia. He then served as an Assistant District Attorney in the Cobb Judicial Circuit for six years where he successfully tried dozens of felony jury trials, including defendants charged with murder, armed robbery, child cruelty, and trafficking narcotics.
Armed with those years of prosecutorial and appellate experience, Maddox began defending juveniles and adults at every stage of the criminal justice system, from investigation, to trial, appeal, and habeas corpus. In 2011, Maddox won a rare “not guilty by reason of insanity” jury verdict in Cobb County where his client was charged with murder by stabbing his mother 120 times. Maddox has lectured on the subject of mental health defenses, being asked to address a statewide conference of defense attorneys on the subject. Much of his expertise is devoted to appellate practice before the Georgia Court of Appeals and Georgia Supreme Court, where Maddox has successfully won new trials for his clients.
- Maddox Kilgore – Criminal Defense Attorney 2006-Present
- Cobb District Attorney’s Office 2000-2005 Assistant District Attorney
- Georgia Department of Law 1996-2000 Assistant Attorney General
- Georgia Supreme Court 1995-1996 Law Assistant to Justice P. Harris Hines
Courts Admitted to Practice
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- All 3 US District Courts in Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Alabama
- Courts of Appeal of Alabama
- All trial courts in Georgia